Booker T. Washington High School
Established in 1913, Booker T. Washington High School has been Tulsa Public Schools’ comprehensive magnet school since 1973. Home to the International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme in the Tulsa Metro area and offering a multitude of Advanced Placement classes, BTW attracts students from all over the city and county, and serves students in every ethnic, religious, and socio-economic group. This diversity, combined with a rich tradition, makes BTW the district’s flagship of academic excellence, athletics, and the arts.
In the early 2000s, the school had outgrown its existing building and looked to build a new facility worthy of its successes. Wallace Engineering provided structural engineering services for a new 213,000 square foot high school facility. The new facility includes three-story classroom buildings, a 767-seat auditorium, cafeteria, commons area, library, media center, kitchen, offices, and four large meeting rooms for marching band, orchestra/jazz band, vocal music and black-box theater.
(landscape architecture services were provided by Howell & Vancuren before joining Wallace)
Photos: ©Don Wheeler Photography