origin: starting the conversation

Archive for the ‘Community’ Category

Fighting Our Giants

03.30.15 by Dan Mazzei

When we pray for help, I think we envision spiritual, relational, academic, parental or even economic success. Such requests are then entrusted to the favor…

Read More

How Do You Do It?

03.18.15 by Liz Franklin

I am an Administrative Assistant and a mother of four-year old twin boys. An Administrative Assistant is a “behind the scenes” person, here to assist…

Read More

I LOVE TO SHOP!

02.23.15 by Carrie Johnson

I love reading our Wallace blogs. Everyone writes about interesting experiences and hobbies. In thinking about this, I decided to write about my favorite hobby…

Read More

…and a responsible engineer shall lead them.

02.11.15 by Steve Huey

I came to art at an early age. It has always been woven into my life. A friend gave me a word a few years…

Read More

It’s Another Day in Paradise

02.06.15 by Tom Hendrick

Often when asked by friends, colleagues, coworkers or even strangers how I am doing or how my day is going,  I greet them with, “It’s…

Read More

Somebody’s Watching You

01.07.15 by Kevin Fitzpatrick

The New Year always reminds me of everybody’s resolution to “get in shape”, as vague as that may be. About 10 years ago I belonged to…

Read More

Smile When It Hurts

12.15.14 by Brad Thurman

I recently had the great opportunity to serve as national president of the Society for Marketing Professional Services (SMPS), an organization dedicated to marketing and…

Read More

Bound for Belize

11.24.14 by Gene Phillips

A couple of months ago, I had a chance to take my own mini vacation. Everyone else in the family had plans, so this one was…

Read More

What’s Shakin’ in Tornado Alley?

11.17.14 by Justin Hartman

Having grown up in the Oklahoma City area and now living in Tulsa, it has always been tornadoes, thunderstorms and the occasional snow or ice…

Read More

A Scout Is…

11.03.14 by Daniel McClain

For the past seven years I have had the privilege and the honor of leader and teaching boys through Boy Scouts of America. I have…

Read More

So Fresh and So Clean…At What Cost?

10.20.14 by David Schoell

I’m sure you’ve all heard that the greenest building is the one that’s already built. The sentiment suggests that preserving a structure involves less energy…

Read More

Game Changer

10.06.14 by Ron Isley

Game changers aren’t only in sports, but also in life. Some of the game changers in my life include learning ride a bike, throwing my…

Read More

Pole-Pole…

09.29.14 by Doug Brown

Pole-pole is Swahili for “slowly, be calm, don’t excite yourself.” It is the phrase used by the guides and their crew as they lead you…

Read More

Simply Amazing

09.22.14 by Kenna Chapin

The news is full of pseudo celebrities getting attention for bad behavior and the trouble they get into. I would like to put more focus…

Read More

A Surprise Worth Waiting For!

09.15.14 by Matt Schachle

In the Summer of 2013, my wife, Amy, and I found out that we were going to be blessed with another one of God’s precious…

Read More

The World is Right Again.

09.09.14 by Darren Burns

The world is right again. At least for the next four and a half months. I know it’s pretty minor in the grand scheme of…

Read More

Love of the Theater

07.14.14 by Lise Kifer

Full disclosure: While I work by day as what Tom Wallace describes as “mom” to Wallace Engineering, and as what I consider to be the…

Read More

Do Something!

07.09.14 by Pryce Joyner

Last summer, my family was sitting around the house watching the news about the flash flooding in Manitou Springs, Colorado, which was the result of downpours on the…

Read More

Freedom

06.30.14 by Doug Fredeen

I spent vacation last week at home and got the chance to visit with my oldest daughter and her husband. He is a Marine stationed…

Read More

What A Difference Four Years Make

06.24.14 by Gene Phillips

Do you ever stop to realize how much changes occur in a typical 4-year span? We just went through college graduation with our son. How…

Read More

Give a Girl a Chance…

06.13.14 by Darcey Schumacher

Not too long ago, I formed a new relationship with a client who was in the market for a consultant with national retail experience. I…

Read More

Saferooms for Schools – One Year Later

06.03.14 by Kevin Bahner

It’s been nearly a year since my last blog post. At that time, South Oklahoma City and Moore were just really getting started with the…

Read More

The Engineer and The Artist

05.20.14 by Dan Mazzei

Many years ago an engineer married an artist. The engineer pursued order, symmetry and productivity. The artist did not. The artist was nurtured by free…

Read More

Safe Schools 101 – FEMA and Oklahoma Emergency Management

04.29.14 by David Zuk

As residents of Oklahoma we are fully aware the month of May means severe weather and tornadoes are likely to occur at any time throughout…

Read More

There’s More To It Than Money

04.22.14 by Jim Beach

There’s more to this working thing than money. We get fulfillment from forming bonds among our peers, having some nourishing accomplishments and contributing to our…

Read More

Why I Love the Mile High City

04.10.14 by Max Lehman

If I were to venture a guess, I would bet most of our Origin readers are not aware of our Mile High office. With such…

Read More

All Things Happen For a Reason

03.10.14 by Sarah Appleton

I am a firm believer that all things happen for a reason, even if we will never know what that reason is.  A couple years…

Read More

Be Aware of Your Surroundings

11.25.13 by Sam Ray

I have the privilege, together with my wife, of raising three daughters. They are usually eager to learn, and they also like to teach. Yes,…

Read More

Fulfilling A Dream

11.18.13 by Ron Isley

Over 30 years ago, a man named Allen Sappington was called to be a missionary to the Kuna, a people indigenous to Panama and Colombia….

Read More

It’s Vintage.

11.11.13 by Doug Brown

In a recent Origin post by Ron Jantz, he writes about his career of 25 years at Wallace Engineering. He recounts his progression in responsibilities,…

Read More

Play Ball!

10.22.13 by Scott Rodehaver

Wallace Engineering moved into the Brady Arts district in 2006 to a great historic 1920s brick warehouse. We had a small parking lot with additional…

Read More

Green with Envy

08.20.13 by Lise Kifer

A while back I was perusing articles about the physical office spaces and campuses of “way out there” companies like Facebook, Apple, Google and Amazon. …

Read More

Even the Rocks Will Cry Out…

08.12.13 by Pryce Joyner

“An architect should live as little in cities as a painter. Send him out to our hills, and let him study there what nature understands…

Read More

A Common Thread In A Small Community

07.23.13 by Gene Phillips

Every so often I’m reminded of how fortunate I am to have a career, a workplace, and a team that allows me to play a…

Read More

Shelters for Schools, It’s Time to Start the Conversation

07.08.13 by Kevin Bahner

Growing up in Oklahoma City, you just get used to springtime weather warnings. Local news stations preempt your favorite shows or sporting events to shout…

Read More

Pay It Forward

07.01.13 by Dan Mazzei

I sincerely appreciate working for a company whose culture encourages employees to give back to the community. Most have done more than I, but to…

Read More
close modal

Join Our Team!

Are you passionate about the AEC industry? Do you want to use your talents with a group of the greatest engineers, landscape architects, technicians and support personnel in the industry? You've found the right place. Wallace is unique in the way we strive to make lives better for our clients, communities and employees. And we believe we have more fun doing our job than just about anyone else! The art of possibility. Discover it at Wallace.

Learn More