Henry Zarrow Center for Art & Education
University of Tulsa

The Mathews Building, formerly known as the Tulsa Paper Company warehouse, is located in the heart of the Tulsa Arts District. The building was originally constructed in 1922, with subsequent additions in 1927, 1928 and 1958, and became vacant in 1990. In 2007, the building was purchased by the George Kaiser Family Foundation with the idea of transforming it into an arts and education center. In 2010, the building received preliminary permission to become a “certified historic structure” from the National Park Service of the U.S. Department of the Interior, provided certain conditions were met and rehabilitation of the property is completed. The 80,000 square foot facility was adapted to hold the Henry Zarrow Center for Art and Education, Philbrook Downtown, 108 | Contemporary and the Woody Guthrie Center.

The Henry Zarrow Center for Art & Education is a joint project between Gilcrease Museum and the University of Tulsa. The renovation of the 18,000 square foot facility created a dynamic arts anchor with art exhibitions offered by the University’s School of Art, and arts education programs offered by Gilcrease Museum. The three-story facility features art exhibit spaces, art studios for students and visiting artists, classrooms, offices, and a reception area for public and private events.

Gallery

Back to top