East 9 at Pickwick Plaza
The Historic Pickwick Plaza Hotel, built in the 1930’s, was once a signature landmark of downtown Kansas City. A frequent retreat of County Judge Harry S. Truman before his presidency, the Pickwick was “the place” in town for cross country travelers looking for a central location to recharge before heading off to their next destination. Pickwick was designed as a true mixed-use facility combining transit, retail, hotel, and office uses in one facility.
Today, the building is being positioned again to attract downtown enthusiasts by offering market rate apartments. One bedroom apartments, approximately 500 sq. ft. each, make up the majority of the 260 planned units. Tenant amenities on ground floor and mezzanine levels include hospitality rooms, street level retail shopping, laundry, recreation/workout facilities, and a pool. Wallace Engineering is providing structural engineering services for this repositioning of a historic landmark.
Renderings Courtesy of Helix Architecture + Design